ElaineD's Bread Stuffing
Now, I have decided to write down some of the recipes that are just in my head.
I usually like to add a pound of browned pork sausage to the mixture. This time I am using some bacon to lower the fat content a bit.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 slicebacon cut crosswise into 1/4 inch pieces
1 cfinely chopped onion
3/4 cfinely chopped celery (about 2 stalks0
2 tspdried parsley
1 tspgarlic powder
4 tsppoultry seasoning
1-2 tspfresh ground black pepper
8-10 c1/2 inch bread cubes
1 cchicken broth (approximately)
1 lbpork sausage meat (optional)
How to Make ElaineD's Bread Stuffing
- Add 1/2 c. of the chicken stock to the pan to help scrape up the fond on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the bread cubes to the pan in three additions. This helps to distribute the spices more evenly. Add some more of the chicken stock to moisten the bread cubes. Only add as much as is necessary for the the mixture to be lightly moist - not wet. The amount of stock added will depend on how dry your bread cubes were. Add more stock if necessary.
- Taste a cube of the bread for seasoning. Add more salt, pepper or poultry seasoning if you like.
When everything is mixed in put your stuffing into a pan to bake at 325 degrees F.
- I like to make the stuffing one day ahead of the dinner. I put the stuffing loosely in a plastic bag in the fridge so I can put it into a pan to bake it the next day. If you have room in your fridge you can put the stuffing right into the pan in which you will bake it. ( I don't have much room in my fridge.)
- Check out - How to Make Roast the stuffing outside the turkey