Black-eyed Peas with a Healthy Twist
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 4 clove
- garlic (minced)
- 1/2 c
- onions (diced)
- 4 c
- low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 c
- fresh black-eyed peas, or frozen, defrosted and drained
- 1 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 c
- chopped scallions for garnish
How to Make Black-eyed Peas with a Healthy Twist
- 1In a 3 - 5 quart Dutch oven, over medium heat; add olive oil, garlic and onion. Sauté until translucent. Then add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- 2Add black-eyed peas, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30-40 minutes or until tender. ( Add a little water if necessary. Then add red pepper flakes and let simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes, salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Place beans in a serving dish and add chopped scallions for garnish. Serve over steamed white or brown rice.