☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 lbripe peaches
1/2 crum, dark or light
How to Make Peaches Ahoy!
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using the tip of a paring knife, make a shallow “X” in the bottom of each peach. Add the peaches, one at a time, to the boiling water for 1 minute. Remove the peach from the water and plunge into a bowl of ice water. Repeat with the remaining peaches. Remove skins, pit the fruit and quarter.
- In another large pot, combine 3 cups water and the sugar and bring to a boil. Add the peaches and simmer until just soft.
- Have the jars, screw tops and new lids scalded and ready. Gently pack the peaches into the jars.
- Boil the leftover syrup until it thickens slightly, then spoon it over the fruit, filling the jars ¾ full. Use a butter knife to release any air bubbles caught in the jars. Pour in enough rum to fill the jars, leaving ¼ inch of headroom. Wipe the rims, cover with the lids and screw on the bands fingertip-tight.
- Place the jars on a rack in a big pot and cover with 2 to 3 inches of water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat to medium and gently boil for 20 minutes. Remove the cover and then, after about 5 minutes, remove the jars. Allow them to cool, untouched, for 4 to 6 hours. Check the seals and store in a cool, dark place for up to a year. Refrigerate after opening.