3 Tbsppickling lime
1 qtwater plus more for soaking
5 ccantaloupe or muskmelon balls
1 1/2 ccider vinegar
2 tspwhole cloves
13 inch cinnamon stick, broken
2 tspslivered fresh ginger
How to Make Cantaloupe Pickles
- In a large bowl, stir the lime into 3 cups water. Add the melon balls and let the bowl stand at room temperature for 4 - 5 hours.
- Drain the melon balls, rinse them well, and cover them with fresh water. Let the bowl stand for 1 hour, then drain them again. Give the melon two more hour long soaks in fresh water. Drain melon well.
- In a nonreactive pot, combine the vinegar, 1 cup water, sugar and dry spices and ginger tied in cheesecloth. Bring the syrup to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and add the melon balls. Bring the syrup to a boil again, reduce the heat, and cover the pot. Simmer the melon about 1 hour until the balls are translucent around the edges.
- With a slotted spoon, divide the melon balls between two pint mason jars. Boil the syrup until it thickens a little and remove the spice bag. Pour the hot syrup over the melon balls, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Close the jars and process for 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
- Store in a cool dark place.