★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1/2 c
- solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 c
- butter, softened
- 1 tsp
- clear vanilla extract
- 4 c
- sifted confectioner's sugar
- 2 Tbsp
How to Make Buttercream Icing (Medium Consistency)
- 1In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
- 2For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
- 3For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.
- 4For Pure White Icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for butter and add 1/2 teaspoon No-Color Butter Flavor. Add up to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cakes.
- 5NOTE: Changes in Wilton's traditional recipes have been made due to Trans Fat Free Shortening replacing Hydrogenated Shortening.
- 6SOURCE: Wilton's 2003 Yearbook