Home Made Mayonnaise
1 qtcanola or other neutral tasting vegetable oil. if you like the taste of olive oil, which i don't, you may use it or a 50/50 mixture of olive and canola oils.
2eggs (whites included)
4 Tbspfresh squeezed lemon juice (not bottled) i use meyer lemon but regular works also.
4 tspyellow mustard, add an extra tsp if you like
1 1/2 tspsalt
1 tspblack pepper
1/2 tspregular paprika
MAYONNAISE WITH FLAVOR
How to Make Home Made Mayonnaise
- It is important that ALL ingredients be at room temperature for a thick finished product. Use a food processor using the chopping blade. Place exit tube insert into its slot to prevent ingredients from running out of the top. When first beginning the process everything will be very watery.
- Place all ingredients except canola oil into the food processor and give it 4 or 5 extremely short pulses to mix the eggs with the lemon juice and vinegar in the mustard. This lowers the PH which kills any potential bacteria.
- With food processor running on lowest of the 2 speeds (mine has 2 speeds) slowly and I mean very slowly start pouring the measured quart of canola oil into the hopper in a very thin drizzle.
- Don't worry about scraping down the sides of the processor and underside of the processor lid yet. As you keep adding the oil in a slow thin drizzle you will notice the mayo starting to form and the splashing will stop. At this point stop the processor and scrape down the sides and the underside of the processor lid. Start the food processor again and finish drizzling in the oil. Too cut down on mess I use a wide canning funnel to transfer the finished mayo to a quart Mason jar and the extra to a 1/2 pint mason jar or set it aside for use later that day for macaroni salad or some kind of sandwich spread such as ham or chicken.
- I cannot emphasize enough the importance of the ingredients being at warm room temperature and the slow rate you must drizzle in the oil. After refrigerated you will get a nice very thick mayo.
Prep time is however long it takes things to come up to room temperature.
Cook time is the under 10 minutes it takes to combine everything during the processing.