Double Boiler Clarified Butter with Video
Andy Anderson !1
My twist to the whole procedure is to use a double boiler to control the temperature of the process, and therefore keep the clarified butter from turning into Ghee.
Anyway, things like making beef, chicken, and fish stocks, and making a consume, as well as clarifying butter, are some of the first skills you learn when attending a cooking school.
So, you ready… Let’s get cooking.
How to Make Double Boiler Clarified Butter with Video
- 2Fill the bottom portion of the double boiler with water, about half way up.
- 3Set on the burner and bring it up to a good simmer.
- 4Meanwhile, cut the butter into cubes and place in the top portion of the double boiler.
- 5Place over the simmering water, and allow the butter to completely melt, about 8 to 12 minutes.
- 6As the foam begins to rise to the surface skim it off with a small spoon, ladle, or gravy separator.
- 7Continue the process until the butter no longer generates any more foam, about 20 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat, and carefully remove any additional foam.
- 9Strain the mixture through a couple of folds of cheesecloth, or a fine tea strainer, into a sealable container.
- 12The golden nectar you now have is clarified butter, ready for use.