Chinese - Ginger Scallion Sauce
Posted here for play in Culinary Quest. Recipe courtesy of Rhonda Parkinson
2 Tbspdark soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbsplight soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbspwater or chicken broth
1 tspbrown sugar, or to taste
6scallions (green onions, spring onions), ends removed, finely chopped
12-inch slice fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1green or red chili pepper, de-seeded and sliced
3 Tbsppeanut or vegetable oil
How to Make Chinese - Ginger Scallion Sauce
- Combine the soy sauce, water, and sugar in a small heatproof bowl.
- Stir in the scallions, ginger, and chopped chili pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until it is shimmering on the bottom and very hot but not yet smoking (about 300 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Carefully pour the oil into the scallion/ginger mixture.
- It will sizzle for a few seconds. Once it stops sizzling, stir, and then let stand for 2 minutes before serving.