Old Fashion Orange Marmalade or Whiskey Marmalade
It was a wonderful experience making this jam because the aroma that was sent through the air allowed me to relive past Christmases from when I was a child.
I made mine without whiskey but included the ground cloves which I mistakenly added at the start of the cooking time.
2.2 lbthin skinned oranges
4 lbsugar (7.6 cups)
1 tspground cloves
1 tspground cloves (optional)
IF MAKING WITH WHISKEY
1 tspground cloves
How to Make Old Fashion Orange Marmalade or Whiskey Marmalade
- cut up the oranges in quarters and squeeze out the juice of lemons, remove membrane of oranges with a spoon.
- Put orange shavings in muslin bag and tie (slice the peel finely or coarsely your choice) (I used a fine grater and put my shavings right in with my jam) Or you can do as the directions stated and put it in a bag and in a saucepan of water and leave it soaking a few hours
- Then bring it all to the boil and let to simmer gently for 1-1/2 hours, making sure after this time the water should be reduced by half.
Squeeze all the liquid from the muslin bag and remove from saucepan.
- Now you will add the sugar and stir until all the sugar has dissolved.
Then, increase the heat and bring to a full rolling boil rapidly until setting point is reach 5 to 10 minutes approx. stay with it ..
- Test for set = put a little marmalade on a cold saucer and cool for a few minutes if it wrinkles when u push it with your finger it's done, if not boil some more ...allow marmalade to sit in the saucepan for 15 minutes before potting to prevent the peel from floating all to the top.
- NOTE==if you want whiskey marmalade this is how's it is done ....add the 5 tablespoons of whiskey and a teaspoon of ground cloves to the cooking marmalade just before potting stir in well .
- Here is where I messed up and had put the cloves in at the beginning with my Oranges. The result was a darker all around color the taste is out of this world. We even created a new tv favorite snack from this jam.
- Old fashioned Orange Marmalade dip
1 (8 oz) block of cream cheese
1 jar of This wonderful jam
Crackers or chips (we used corn chips)
This was done just like you would with a jalapeño jelly. Just set the cheese in an oblong serving bowl and pour this jam over top. Serve it with chips to dip.