Wild Blueberry Jam
Can be made fully sugar free without changing any other ingredients or steps!
8 cmashed berries, about 13 cups whole
1 Tbsplemon juice
3 Tbsplow/no sugar powdered pectin
12 jar(s)canning jars and lids, half-pint size. sterilized
How to Make Wild Blueberry Jam
- Mash 13 cups whole berries
- Add powdered pectin, lemon juice and cinnamon, stir until dissolved
- Boil berry/pectin mash 5 mins- the kind of boil you can't stir away.
- Add Sugar and stir in to dissolve
- Bring back to boil for another 3 minutes
- test jam for consistency. For this step I keep a tablespoon in a glass of ice water near the stove. spoon out about a half tablespoon of the jam out of the boiling pot, and let it cool on the spoon. Then turn the spoon up on edge. If the jam either sticks to the spoon or falls off in a lump (as you would expect jam to do!), then it's ready. If it runs off like liquid, keep boiling another 1-2 mins and try again.
- Remove from heat and ladle off any foam. The foam won't hurt anything, it just looks more appealing int he jar without it.
- Let stand for 5 mins. This little trick prevents the fruit from floating to the top of the jar, plus it's about the right amount of time to get your jars and lids out of the pot/dishwasher and set them up to fill.
- Fill jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Be sure wipe the top edge of the jar with a clean cloth to remove any jam or it will prevent proper sealing.
- Add metal sealers and rings and tighten down fully.
- Within 1-2 hours all the seals should 'pop' on the jars. A good way to check is to try and push down the center of the metal sealer lid. If it flexes it's not sealed, if it has no give...you're good!
- Keeps for 1-2 years