Sour Wiener Gravy
- 5-3/4 cups
- cold water
- 1 onion,
- finely chopped (use small to medium size onion)
- salt & pepper, season according to taste
- gingersnap cookies
- 1-1/2 cups
- 5% white vinegar
- 2 lbs.
- all-beef wieners (*see note)
- hot-cooked mashed potatoes
How to Make Sour Wiener Gravy
- 1In a large deep 12-inch skillet, combine the water, onion, salt and pepper, plus the gingersnaps. (You can also prepare this dish in a chicken fryer, with a lid, which is what I use.)
- 2Stir gently until the gingersnaps have dissolved.
- 3Add the vinegar and sliced wieners.
- 4Heat over medium-low heat, until it almost boils and is somewhat thick; stirring continuously.
- 5(When preparing this in a chicken fryer, I cook this over high heat; stirring frequently, until it comes to a boil and the gravy has thickened up (in about 10 minutes), and after that, I lower the heat to a simmer, and cook/simmer the dish just a bit longer, for about 10-15 minutes longer.)
- 6Serve over the hot-cooked mashed potatoes.
- 7*Note: When adding the gingersnap cookies, be sure to only use the store brands that I had suggested. Do not use home-baked cookies for this recipe. Also, you can also substitute franks or hot dogs for the all-beef wieners.