Sour Wiener Gravy
5-3/4 cupscold water
1 onion,finely chopped (use small to medium size onion)
·salt & pepper, season according to taste
1-1/2 cups5% white vinegar
2 lbs.all-beef wieners (*see note)
·hot-cooked mashed potatoes
How to Make Sour Wiener Gravy
- In a large deep 12-inch skillet, combine the water, onion, salt and pepper, plus the gingersnaps. (You can also prepare this dish in a chicken fryer, with a lid, which is what I use.)
- Stir gently until the gingersnaps have dissolved.
- Add the vinegar and sliced wieners.
- Heat over medium-low heat, until it almost boils and is somewhat thick; stirring continuously.
- (When preparing this in a chicken fryer, I cook this over high heat; stirring frequently, until it comes to a boil and the gravy has thickened up (in about 10 minutes), and after that, I lower the heat to a simmer, and cook/simmer the dish just a bit longer, for about 10-15 minutes longer.)
- Serve over the hot-cooked mashed potatoes.
- *Note: When adding the gingersnap cookies, be sure to only use the store brands that I had suggested. Do not use home-baked cookies for this recipe. Also, you can also substitute franks or hot dogs for the all-beef wieners.