CRACKED PEPPER GRAVY (SALLYE)
How to Make CRACKED PEPPER GRAVY (SALLYE)
- Place large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add butter and melt until it begins to foam (but not brown).
If you use bacon drippings, allow them to heat until they begin to sizzle.
- With wooden spoon, stir in flour and make a nice light roux.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add milk gradually, continuing to stir constantly.
***IMPORTANT TO CONTINUE TO STIR OR GRAVY WILL BE A BIG LUMPY MESS---
- Turn heat to medium low and continue to stir until gravy begins to thicken (about five minutes).
- Alternate for a richer gravy:
Pour 1 large can evaporated milk (Pet or equivalent) into measuring cup and fill up rest of cup until you have 2-1/2 cups of liquid (milk).