Holiday Cranberry Sauce
How to Make Holiday Cranberry Sauce
- In a heavy 3 qt. saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil.
- While the sugar and water heat, zest the oranges over the pot, so the zest goes right into the pot.
- Cut the oranges in half, crosswise, and squeeze the juice from the orange halves into the pot. Drop the orange halves into the pot.
- Stir in the cranberries.
- Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce reaches desired thickness.
Remove the orange halves from the sauce after a few minutes, then allow the mixture to finish cooking.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Chill until ready to serve.
- NOTES: Cook longer or shorter time, depending on how thick you like your cranberry sauce, taking into account that it will thicken as it cools.
This recipe multiplies easily, just use a bigger pot and plan a longer cooking time.
Stores well, tightly covered.
I use the cooled orange halves for a project with my grandchildren: we smear the cut side with nut butter then sprinkle on sunflower seeds. We place the finished bird feeders in the fountain in the yard, which has been drained for winter :)