Guacamole en Molcajete
How to Make Guacamole en Molcajete
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the chopped onions, ½ teaspoon of the chopped jalapeno and ½ teaspoon of the cilantro with ½ teaspoon of salt in the molcajete (a lava stone bowl used for grinding and mixing).
- With the back of a wooden spoon (the salt and the stone help in grinding), mash these ingredients into a paste. This releases the juices within.
Split the avocado in half, then remove the seed. Slice the avocado lengthwise in about 1/8-1/4 inch strips, and then across, forming a grid.
- Scoop the avocado out of the skin with a spoon (never mash or scrape it).
- Add the avocado to the paste in the molcajete and fold to combine thoroughly. Add the other ingredients, folding gently, taking care not to mash the guacamole.***
Add jalapenos and salt to taste.
Serve with corn tortillas and chips.
- * Only Haas avocados from California, with a dark green bumpy skin, perfectly ripened for rich flavor.
** The tomatoes must be perfectly ripened.
*** Mixing the ingredients rather than mashing them leaves the guacamole chunky and somewhat firm, not mushy.