Traditional Bread & Butter Pickles
10 cwashed, sliced trimmed pickling cucumbers (1/4" thick slices)
1extra large onion (sliced thinly)
3/4 cpickling or canning salt (kosher salt can be used)
5 cwhite or cider vinegar (5% min)
3 craw brown (cane) sugar
3 Tbspmustard seeds
1-1/2 tspcelery seeds
3 tspground ginger
1-1/2 tspground turmeric
How to Make Traditional Bread & Butter Pickles
- In a glass or stainless steel bowl, combine cucumbers, onions and salt. Mix well, cover with cold water and let stand at room temperature for two hours. Transfer to a colander placed over a sink, rinse with cool running water and drain thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, prepare canner, jars and lids.
- In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, ginger and turmeric. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stir in vegetables and return to a boil to vegetables are somewhat soft cooked throughout.
- Pack vegetables into hot jars to within a generous 1/2" of top of jar. Ladle hot pickling liquid into jars to cover vegetables, leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary by adding pickling liquid. Wipe rims. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
- Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Turn off and remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.