Sneaky Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 can(s)
- crushed tomatoes(28oz.)
- medium onion, cut in 1in. pieces
- medium zucchini or yellow squash, slice 1in. thick
- 1 c
- shredded carrot
- 1 c
- green or red bell pepper, coarsly chopped
- 1/2 c
- celery ribs and leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp
- gound black pepper
- 1/4 c
- fresh basil, minced*
- 1/2 c
- fresh parsley, minced*
- 1/2 tsp
- salt, or to taste
How to Make Sneaky Spaghetti Sauce
- 1Dump 1 can of the tomatoes into a large saucepan.
- 2Dump the other can in a food processor or blender. Add the onion, squash, carrot, bell pepper and celery. Process until veggies are smooth(or mostly smooth). Add to the saucepan with tomatoes.
- 3Add olive oil, sugar, garlic and pepper. Heat over med. heat until bubbling, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook at least 30 min.(I like to let it simmer a lot longer, or even put it in the crockpot for several hours).
- 4Add the minced herbs and salt. Simmer for 5-10 more minutes. Serve over pasta.
- 5Notes: This can easily be a meat sauce...just brown 1/2-1lb. of ground meat, drain and add to sauce.
*fresh herbs have even more antioxidants than a lot of veggies, so including them increases the nutrition of the sauce even more. If you don't have fresh herbs, you can use dried(2t. of basil and 2T of parsley.), and add them when you add the garlic and pepper.