How do you make chicken stock
A chicken stock is used for many recipes. And is a good base or addition to a lot of sauces! I personally like to freeze them into cubes for easy use. Place a plastic foil over the cubes so they don't get 'burned' when you freeze them.
5 lbchicken parts (necks, backs, carcasses, wings or bones will all work just fine)
2onions, roughly chopped
3carrots, roughly chopped
2celery stalks, roughly chopped
3garlic cloves, crushed with peel on
4crushed black peppercorns
How to Make How do you make chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400 F (or 200 °C) and place the chicken parts in a roasting pan and place in oven to roast for about 20 - 30 minutes, turning frequently until they start to brown. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and return the pan to the oven and roast for another 10-15 minutes or until the bones and vegetables are nicely colored.
- Remove the content and place it in a stock pot on the stove. Drain off any fat from the roasting pan, add an inch of water and then place pan on high heat. As the water starts boiling, scrape the caramelized particles from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or whisk.
- Add this to the stock pot with the bones and vegetables and add enough water to cover everything by about 2 inches. Put the pot on high heat and bring to a simmer. Then turn the heat down and use a ladle or skimmer to remove risen impurities and foam.
- Add the remaining ingredients (if possible in a piece of cheesecloth and tie into a bundle with kitchen twine) to the stock pot. Let the stock on a slow simmer for about 3 hours, add more water the water evaporates and goes beneath the solid contents.
- Sieve the stock trough a cheesecloth lined strainer and press gently to extract the last liquids. Let the stock chill completely and remove the fat from the surface.
- The stock can be stored in the freezer up to 6 months or 2 to 3 weeks in the fridge in a closed container.
- When I make my chicken stock I add two tablespoons of milk-powder to the chicken parts before putting them in the oven. This is a TIP that WILL BOOST YOUR FLAVORS!!