Homemade Vanilla Extract
How to Make Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 1Buy your vanilla beans. I buy mine on eBay and you can get them really cheap direct from France, Madagascar or Tahiti. Make sure you buy from a reputable seller, check out their feedback. You can usually buy about a pound or 100 beans for around 30 dollars with most sellers offering free shipping.
- 2Select your bottle. I use the 1 liter glass Perrier bottles. They make the perfect size and the vanilla makes faster with these bottles.
- 3Rinse about 20 beans, slice the beans lengthwise and drop down into the bottle. You can also scoop the seeds out of a few of the beans if you want it to make faster.
- 4Pour rum over the beans to the top of the bottle.
- 5Put the cap on and in about 6-8 weeks you will have close to a quart of the best vanilla you have tasted or used in a recipe. Shake the bottle about once a week.