How to Make Watermelon Jam
- 1Clean and clear up your workspace because this recipe is messy and gets all over everything (if you cut a watermelon like I do).
- 2Find a ripe large watermelon. Wash the outside with cold water. Use a melon ball scoop to scoop roughly 7 cups of watermelon into a food processor or blender.
- 3Puree the watermelon so you have approximately 6 cups.
- 4Combine the pureed watermelon into a large pot (I use Cuisinart 5.5 Multi-Purpose Pan with glass cover) with the 1/2 cup lemon juice and 4 cups white sugar or sugar substitute.
- 5Bring combination to a boil until the temperature of mixture reaches 220 degrees.
- 6Add the powdered pectin and boil for another 5 minutes.
- 7Remove from the heat and pour into sterilized jars.
*I used 12 4oz Jelly Jars. These can be found at your local grocery store or wherever you can purchase canning supplies.
- 8Throughly wipe the rims and apply lids and screw on bands. *This is a very important step... without doing this the vacuum seal may not set properly.
- 9Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- 10Remove from water bath and allow to cool in an area that is dark and away from drafts.
*I leave mine sit overnight and test the seals in the morning. That way I am positive that the seal has set properly.
- 11If the seals have set properly on your jars... you can eat immediately or store unopened jars for up to a year!