How to Make Watermelon Jam
- Clean and clear up your workspace because this recipe is messy and gets all over everything (if you cut a watermelon like I do).
- Find a ripe large watermelon. Wash the outside with cold water. Use a melon ball scoop to scoop roughly 7 cups of watermelon into a food processor or blender.
- Puree the watermelon so you have approximately 6 cups.
- Combine the pureed watermelon into a large pot (I use Cuisinart 5.5 Multi-Purpose Pan with glass cover) with the 1/2 cup lemon juice and 4 cups white sugar or sugar substitute.
- Bring combination to a boil until the temperature of mixture reaches 220 degrees.
- Add the powdered pectin and boil for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour into sterilized jars.
*I used 12 4oz Jelly Jars. These can be found at your local grocery store or wherever you can purchase canning supplies.
- Throughly wipe the rims and apply lids and screw on bands. *This is a very important step... without doing this the vacuum seal may not set properly.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- Remove from water bath and allow to cool in an area that is dark and away from drafts.
*I leave mine sit overnight and test the seals in the morning. That way I am positive that the seal has set properly.
- If the seals have set properly on your jars... you can eat immediately or store unopened jars for up to a year!