- 2 lb
- vidalia onions, thinly sliced (about 9 cups)
- 2 c
- 1 pkg
- powdered pectin (1 3/4 oz.)
- 3/4 c
- white vinegar
- 5 1/2 c
SERVE THIS SWEET ONION JELLY WITH SLICES OF ROAST BEEF, HAM, OR ON CRACKERS
How to Make VIDALIA ONION JELLY
- 1Combine onion & water in a Dutch oven; bring to boil. Remove from heat, & cool.
Press onion through a jelly bag or cheese-cloth to extract juice. If necessary, add water to juice to measure 3 cups. Discard onion pulp.
- 2Combine onion liquid, pectin, & vinegar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, & return to a boil. Remove from heat; skim off foam with a medal spoon.
- 3Pour hot jelly quickly through a sieve into hot sterilized jars, filling to 1/4 inch from top; wipe jar rims.
- 4Cover at once with medal lids, & screw on bands. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.