Spiced Peach Jam
4 cfresh peaches, peeled and roughly chopped (about 8-9 medium)
2 Tbspfruit fresh
7 1/2 csugar
1/4 Tbspground cloves
1/4 ccinnamon red hot candies, optional
1/4 tspbutter (to keep down foam, optional)
2 pkgliquid pectin (two individual 3 oz packets)
How to Make Spiced Peach Jam
- Prepare jars, rings and water bath canner keeping jars hot. Measure out other ingredients. Snip corners off the two 3 oz pectin packets and set upright in a mug near the stove.
- Combine peaches, sugar, red hots (if using), spices, lemon juice and butter (if using) in a large, heavy saucepan. Bring mixture to a full, rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir and mash with a potato masher very frequently.
- Once mixture has reached a boil that cannot be stirred down, quickly add pectin squeezing entire contents in all at once. Return to a hard boil stirring and mashing constantly for one minute. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- Fill hot jars leaving 1/4" headspace. Run a small spatula around the inside of each jar to disperse air bubbles and add additional jam to bring back to 1/4" headspace.
- Carefully and thoroughly wipe the rim of each jar clean with a damp towel to ensure a good seal. Place rings and lids. Tighten lids to "fingertip" tightness. Process in boiling water bath for five minutes.
- Remove jars to a clean dish towel and let rest for 12 hours. Check for seal. Reprocess or refrigerate and unsealed jars. Will keep in a dark cupboard for one year.