Spiced Peach Jam
- 4 c
- fresh peaches, peeled and roughly chopped (about 8-9 medium)
- 2 Tbsp
- fruit fresh
- 7 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 Tbsp
- ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 c
- cinnamon red hot candies, optional
- 1/4 tsp
- butter (to keep down foam, optional)
- 2 pkg
- liquid pectin (two individual 3 oz packets)
How to Make Spiced Peach Jam
- 2Prepare jars, rings and water bath canner keeping jars hot. Measure out other ingredients. Snip corners off the two 3 oz pectin packets and set upright in a mug near the stove.
- 3Combine peaches, sugar, red hots (if using), spices, lemon juice and butter (if using) in a large, heavy saucepan. Bring mixture to a full, rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir and mash with a potato masher very frequently.
- 4Once mixture has reached a boil that cannot be stirred down, quickly add pectin squeezing entire contents in all at once. Return to a hard boil stirring and mashing constantly for one minute. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- 5Fill hot jars leaving 1/4" headspace. Run a small spatula around the inside of each jar to disperse air bubbles and add additional jam to bring back to 1/4" headspace.
- 6Carefully and thoroughly wipe the rim of each jar clean with a damp towel to ensure a good seal. Place rings and lids. Tighten lids to "fingertip" tightness. Process in boiling water bath for five minutes.
- 7Remove jars to a clean dish towel and let rest for 12 hours. Check for seal. Reprocess or refrigerate and unsealed jars. Will keep in a dark cupboard for one year.