How to Make scuppernong jelly
- Scuppernongs have very tough skin. I took a sharp knife and gave each one a cut when I put then into the pot to cook.
- Add the 1/2 cup water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the juice, you will need 4 cups.
Directions called for cheesecloth, I just used a strainer with fine holes.
- Sterilize 5 canning pint jars for 20 minutes. Wash the screw bands and lids.
- Lids go into pan with water brought to hot, and then turned off.
- Put juice in a large pan, add sugar and butter and bring to a boil that cannot be stirred down. Add pectin and cook exactly 1 minute.
- Fill pint jars to directions on pectin package, wipe clean the outside rim, add the lid and screw band.
- Put in water bath for exactly 5 minutes.