This is one by Alex Guarnaschelli. I love her!
Made this and put on Bobby Flay's Pepper Biscuits. It was so good!
Enjoy on meat as well.
Hope you like it too!
- 1/4 c
- vegetable or canola oil
- large red onions, halved, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups dry red wine
- gastric: 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, juice and a few grates of zest from 1 lemon (optional)
How to Make Onion Jam
- 1In a medium saute pan, heat the oil until it begins to smoke lightly. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper to your taste. Cook until the onions give up their liquid, 3-5 minutes, and then add the red wine. Lower the heat and cook the onions until the wine reduces almost completely. Leave on low heat while you prepare the gastrique.
- 2In a separate small pan, heat the honey until it begins to bubble and froth. Cook until the honey turns a light caramel color, an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the red wine vinegar, simmer for a few minutes on a low heat, and shut off the heat. Pour the honey mixture over the onions and continues cooking them over low heat until all of the jucie is absorbed and the onions are a jam-like consistency, 10-15 minutes. If you desire, add the lemon juice and zest at this point. Taste for seasoning and transfer to a bowl to cool until ready to serve.