Mommy's Kitchen, Apple Pie Jam
7 cpeeled and diced gala apples (8-9 med. apples)
1/2 capple juice
3 cwhite sugar
2 cpacked light brown sugar
1 1/2 tspcinnamon
1 boxsmall box sure jell
How to Make Mommy's Kitchen, Apple Pie Jam
- Cook apples, apple juice and butter over low heat, stirring until apples are soft but not mushy.
- Stir in pectin and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Add sugars and cinnamon and bring back to a boil (220 degrees use candy thermometer), stirring constantly.
- After the mixture comes to a full boil and reaches 220 degrees boil for one full minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam (if there is any).
- Pour into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Process jars in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Yields 5 1/2- half pint jars.
Properly processed jam will last 12 months stored in your pantry.
- Bea L. (Here on Just A Pinch) taught me this and it has worked every time. Instead of water bath processing she used the old time method which I have included below.
Laddle them into clean jars and seal tightly. If you want you can turn the jars upside down for 15 minutes then right side up but it's really not necessary. A lot of older people used to do this. You should hear them "pop" within 30 to 40 minutes. If you have one that doesn't seal, just put it in the fridge.