Fun Fig Fruit Spread
When the figs came in, this was the fig spread we cooked.
It is delicious. My entire family has loved it for generations.
- 2 lb
- fresh figs, trimmed and quartered
- 2 1/2 c
- sugar (i use turbanado - white is fine)
- 12 oz
- dried figs, stems trimmed, and sliced
- 3 Tbsp
- lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon zest, grated
How to Make Fun Fig Fruit Spread
- 1Combine all ingredients in large stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat, cover, and cool overnight
- 2Stir jam, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for roughly 30 minutes, or until jam is thick, stirring often
- 3Meanwhile, sterilize jars and lids. Submerge jars in large pot filled halfway with simmering water, and lids in small pot of simmering water. Keep jars and lids in hot water until ready to use
- 4Remove jars one at a time from hot water, and fill with jam, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Steal with Rewmove jars one at a time from hot water, and fill with jam, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal with lids. Place canning rack or cake rack in bottom of large pot, and return sealed jars to pot, adding extra water to cover jars by 1 inch, if necessary. Bring water to a boil and boil 10 minutes. Remove jars from water, and cool.