French Onion Grilled Cheese
Kimmi Knippel (Sweet_Memories)
- 1 large
- red onion, sliced thin & minced
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 c
- white wine
- 1 Tbsp
- red wine vinegar
- 2 slice
- bread of choice
- 4 tsp
- 2 - 4 Tbsp
- red onion jam
- 3/4 c
- gruyere, munster, cheddar or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper, to taste
RED ONION JAM:
How to Make French Onion Grilled Cheese
- 1RED ONION JAM: (I would make at least day in advance)
Combine the onion, butter, sugar & salt in a small saucepan with a lid. Saute over medium low heat, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Uncover, add the wine & vinegar & continue to cook over medium heat, stirring slightly more frequently, until there is no liquid left & the onions are soft & caramelized, about 25 minutes.
Let the jam come to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container & keep in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
NOTE: After making it...it would probably make enough for about 4 - 6 sandwiches depending on how much you put on each sandwich.
- 2Since the red onion jam keeps for a while in the fridge, you can make it up to 2 weeks in advance & keep it on hand for your grilled cheese making pleasures or other.
Lightly toast both slices of bread. Spread one side with the red onion jam, then pile on the shredded cheese. Sprinkle with salt & freshly ground pepper. Press the second piece of bread on top.
- 4Melt 2 tsp of butter in a small frying pan over medium low heat. Carefully place the sandwich in the pan & cook, pressing down occasionally with a spatula, until the cheese has started to melt & the bread is golden & crispy, 4 - 5 minutes. Lift it out of the pan with the spatula & add the remaining 2 tsp of butter. Flip the sandwich & return it to the pan. Cook another 4 - 5 minutes until the cheese is gooey & the second side is golden.
- 5Place on a plate, cut in 1/2 & eat immediately.