Doce de Abóbora - Pumpkin Jam
This bright orange, very tasty jam is a Portuguese favorite. The sweet treat is easy to prepare. Who doesn't like pumpkin cooked with sugar, cinnamon, lemon peel, orange juice and zest?
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·2 kg pumpkin pulp cut in cubes
·1.6 kg brown sugar
·a bit of water
·1 cinnamon stick
·½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
·zest of 1 lemon
·juice of 2 freshly squeezed lemons (may substitute one lemon, one orange)
How to Make Doce de Abóbora - Pumpkin Jam
- In a large pot, combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon stick and a bit of water. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- Once pumpkin is soft and cooked (about an hour) add ground cinnamon. Simmer for 15 min more, then remove from heat, stir in lemon zest and juice, and with a hand blender blend to jam consistency.
- While the jam is cooking, prepare caner, sterilize jars and screw rings.
For the lids, place them in a small saucepan filled with water, bring to a boil, remove from heat and set the pan aside.
- Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving ½ inch head space. Remove air bubbles with a non-metallic spatula and adjust head space as necessary by adding hot jam.
- Wipe rim clean with a damp cloth and place hot lid disc on jar. Screw band down until fingertip-tight, then place jars in caner and return to a boil.
- Process for 15 minutes but remember to adjust for altitude.
Remove jars and let stand for at least 24 hours on a towel-lined surface.
- Check lids and refrigerate or reprocess any jars that aren’t sealed.
Finally label and date the jars.