Autumn Salted Caramel Apple Butter
I am going to make another version of this recipe with pumpkin, so stay tuned.
1 corganic applesauce or 3 apples (3 different colors)
1 tspdark molasses
1/2 tspginger, fresh grated or powdered
4 Tbspdark brown sugar
2 Tbspsalted caramel or jersey salted caramel
1 1/2 Tbspknox's unflavored gelatin (optional)
How to Make Autumn Salted Caramel Apple Butter
- Place a new saucepan on high. Inside, either place applesauce or apples diced, (I prefer leaving the peel on, but the choice is up to you.) and water. Bring water to a boil while keeping the pan tightly sealed. Reduce heat to simmer.
- If using diced, cook until water is absorbed and apples soft, the mash apples. If using applesauce, continue to next step.
- Add molasses, ginger, cinnamon, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Cook until you have a thick, bubbling.
- Then, I like to use a submersion blender to puree at this point. But, you don't need to if you like a little chunky.
- Raise the heat until you have a steady boil, then whisk in the unflavored gelatin. Keep whisking until totally blended.
- Bubble for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spoon in salted caramel. Stir.
- Pour mixture into a jar. Tightly seal. Invert upsidedown for 5 minutes. Then upright, and place in dark cabinet for 24 hours.