·liver, heart and gizzard of turkey***
·neck of turkey***
1 Tbspsea salt
1 Tbspground black pepper
1 Tbsppoultry seasoning (heaping)
2 to 4 largehard boiled eggs
1 can(s)(small) evaporated milk
2 Tbspflour or cornstarch
How to Make TURKEY GIBLET GRAVY (SALLYE)
- ***You will find these in a sack stuffed in the cavity of the turkey.
Place liver, gizzard, heart and neck in a saucepan and cover with about 6 cups of water or more if needed to make sure all items are covered. Add salt, pepper and poultry seasoning to water.
Simmer over low heat until items are tender (this usually takes 2 hours or more) DO NOT BOIL
Add water as needed to keep at least 2 inches over top of ingredients.
- Hard boil 2 to 4 large eggs and set aside for later use. I use two, but some people like more eggs.
- Once liver, heart, gizzard and neck are tender, remove them from water. Remove pan from heat, but retain the water to use for the gravy.
Finely dice the organ meats and place back in the water.
You can either pull the meat from the neck bone and add to water or discard (I discard)
- Peel eggs, and finely mash with potato masher. Add to water
- Return pan to stove and turn heat to medium high.
Add milk to pan.
Add more water if needed.
- In small bowl, add enough water to flour or cornstarch to make a runny paste.
Once gravy begins to boil, stir paste into it and stir continuously to keep from lumping.
Turn heat down to low and cook for about 5 minutes until gravy begins to thicken and is smooth and fragrant. Stir frequently to avoid lumping.