- 1 lb
- asparagus, fresh, trimmed of tough ends
- 2 to 3 Tbsp
- butter, room temperature
- 1 large
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 c
- chicken broth (divided use)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- italian flat leaf parsley chopped fine
- 1 1/2 tsp
- lemon thyme chopped fine
- 1 medium
- 1 1/2 tsp
- salt and/or extra lemon juice, to taste
How to Make Steamed Asparagus with Lemon-Butter Herb Sauce
- 1Wash and trim asparagus, set aside. Very finely chop the shallots,thyme and parsley.
Melt butter in microwave safe casserole long enough to hold the asparagus, saute shallots on high for 30-45 seconds until translucent and softened. Add juice of half a lemon, salt, pepper, 1/2 c broth, stir and place prepared asparagus in the casserole. Cook covered on high in the microwave for 2 minutes. Uncover and stir, recover and microwave for another 1 or 2 minutes. (These times are variable, depending how large the asparagus stalks, and how soft or firm you like your dish.)
- 2Mix cornstarch into remaining broth
Check firmness of asparagus and if done to your taste, remove from casserole and place on a shallow dish, If it needs a bit more cooking, leave in casserole. Add broth with cornstarch, lemon thyme and parsley, cook 1 to 2 more minutes until thickened. Replace asparagus in casserole if it was set aside to prevent overcooking. Stir gently to coat stalks, and add salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze on a little more lemon juice if desired. You can also sprinkle a bit of lemon zest over it if you like.
- 3Wonderful to serve with rice to catch the juices.