Middle Eastern Lamb and Bean Stew
2 Tbspolive oil
1 to 1 1/2 lblamb shank
4 cchicken broth
5 clovegarlic, crushed
8peppercorns, whole black
2 slicebacon, chopped
2 lbboneless lamb stew meat, dredged in 1/2 c. flour
1 smallsweet onion, chopped
2 mediumcarrots ,sliced in 1/2 inch rounds
2 mediumstalks celery cut into 1-inch slices
2 can(s)15 oz. each cannellini beans, drained
1/4 ccornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Middle Eastern Lamb and Bean Stew
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the lamb shank and brown on all sides. Place in slow cooker. Add chicken broth, garlic and peppercorns; cover and cook on High for 2 hours.
- Add bacon to same skillet in which lamb was browned and cook until crisp.
- Add half the stew meat to pan and brown on all sides. Add browned stew meat to slow cooker.
- Add onion and remaining stew meat to skillet and cook until meat is browned on all sides. add more if needed. Place remaining browned meat mixture in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours more.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add carrots, celery and beans, and stir in cornstarch mixture. Before serving season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped fresh parsley , wilted celery leaves, or other herbs.