☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 cvegetable shortening or oil
·turkey or chicken gizerds and livers
4hard boiled eggs
·turkey or chicken broth
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Grandma Ballance's Giblet Gravy
- In a 5qt. pot on medium heat add shortening or oil. Sprinkle in flour until it makes a bubbling covering on bottom of pot. Keep string until the mixture turns a light brown color. Amounts of oil and shortening must be adjusted as needed.
- Have broth ready to add so that the flour mixture does not burn. Add liquid slowly while stirring continually and carefully because it can splatter and burn you.
- When gravy reaches the desired thickness stop adding broth. Continue cooking, stirring and add more broth when it starts to boil and begin to thicken more. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- After gravy has reached desired thickness add gizzards and livers that have been chopped small. Just before serving add more broth if it has thicken up and stir in chopped boiled eggs.
- This can be served on the side in a gravy bowl to be served over the turkey, dressing or mashed potatoes.
I also sometimes make a additional gravy with just the broth for those who don't like giblet gravy.