Chocolate Gravy (from early 1900's recipe file)
I LOVED IT GROWING UP AND STILL DO..BUT I HAVE TO MAKE IT MYSELF NOW.
BOTH OF MY GRANDMOTHERS AND MY MOTHER HAVE PASSED AWAY.
MAKING AND EATING THEIR RECIPES ARE A NICE COMFORT FOR ME.
How to Make Chocolate Gravy (from early 1900's recipe file)
- 1In a medium saucepan combine sugar, flour and cocoa powder; mix well.
- 2Add water and stir until combined.
- 3Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring occasionally until thick.
- 4Remove from heat and add butter.
- 5Serve warm over buttered biscuits...or pancakes.
May also be served over waffles, fruit, ice cream or even poured over a cake (looks pretty dripping down the sides of a bundt cake).
- 6Another way to make this, if you don't want to use water...
2 teaspoons flour; 1/2 cup sugar; 3 Tablespoons cocoa; 2 cups milk; 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon butter.
Mix first three ingredients; gradually add milk.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
Add in vanilla and butter. Serve over hot biscuits.