Aunt Thelma's Red Eye Gravy
How to Make Aunt Thelma's Red Eye Gravy
- fry your ham slices and remove to plate leaving drippings in the pan
- add fatty scraps to pan and cook on medium high heat for 10 to 15 minutes to render fat from scraps. Remove from pan leaving drippings
- add 1 tablespoon butter and melt into the "drippings"
- stir in 2 teaspoons flour and whisk until brown
- add 1 cup strong black coffee and whisk until smooth.
- turn heat to simmer and let reduce by at least 1/3. Whisking every so often.
- serve hot over grits, mashed potatoes, eggs biscuits any thing that you want to kick the flavor up on :)