Aunt Thelma's Red Eye Gravy
How to Make Aunt Thelma's Red Eye Gravy
- 1fry your ham slices and remove to plate leaving drippings in the pan
- 2add fatty scraps to pan and cook on medium high heat for 10 to 15 minutes to render fat from scraps. Remove from pan leaving drippings
- 3add 1 tablespoon butter and melt into the "drippings"
- 4stir in 2 teaspoons flour and whisk until brown
- 5add 1 cup strong black coffee and whisk until smooth.
- 6turn heat to simmer and let reduce by at least 1/3. Whisking every so often.
- 7serve hot over grits, mashed potatoes, eggs biscuits any thing that you want to kick the flavor up on :)