1/2 cshortening or unsalted butter
1 1/2 call-purpose flour (prefer sifted)
3/4 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspto 3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tspto 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tspto 3/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 cboiling water
How to Make My Grandmother's Ginger Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour an 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan.
- Cream shortening or unsalted butter with sugar, until light. Add egg and molasses; beat thoroughly.
- Sift together or mix together dry ingredients. Add to creamed mixture, alternately with the boiling water, beating after each addition.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until tests done. Serve warm. It is really good with one of these sauces below.
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE: 2/3 packed brown sugar; 1/4 cup water; 1 egg, slightly beaten; 1/4 cup butter; 1/3 cup light corn syrup
In a heavy saucepan, mix all ingredients. Cook, and stir, over low heat, until thick. Stir before using. Serve hot. Makes 1 cup.
VANILLA, LEMON, OR NUTMEG SAUCE: 1 cup sugar, 2 Tbs. cornstarch, 2 cups boiling water, 4 Tbs. butter, 2 tsps. vanilla extract OR 2 tsps. lemon juice with grated lemon rind, OR 2 tsps. ground nutmeg.
Mix sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Gradually, stir in boiling water, and put on medium heat. Boil, 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in butter and flavoring. Serve hot. Makes 2 cups.