Easy Peasy Lemon Curd
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Nickole said it: This would be AMAZING served over pound cake or in a tart. I bet it would also be terrific simply spooned atop some creamy vanilla or blueberry ice cream too! The Test Kitchen
How to Make Easy Peasy Lemon Curd
- 1In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave on high.
- 2In a separate bowl, combine sugar, beaten eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Slowly whisk into the hot melted butter until well combined.
- 3Cook in the microwave for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- 4Remove from heat. Strain the curd through a fine-mesh seive to remove all the white egg bits to ensure a perfectly smooth curd.
- 5Cover by laying a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd (this prevents a skin from forming on the surface). The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools.
Do not skip mixing after the 1-minute intervals and do not let the lemon curd boil, as it can cause the mixture to curdle.
* Cold lemons are much easier to grate. Always grate your lemons first, and then juice them. Grate lemons just before using as the zest will lose moisture if it sits too long.
** Do not use the bottled lemon juice - only use fresh-squeezed lemon juice. Room temperature lemons produce more juice. Always use fresh lemons when making lemon curd.
*** Use good quality butter. Do not use butter substitutes.
**** DO NOT store in a metal bowl, it will react with the acid in the lemons, discoloring the curd and giving it a metallic flavor.