Crock-pot Caramel Apple-Pear Butter-or Just Apple
NOTE: Alternate method with fewer ingredients: Processed cooked apples through food mill to make approx. 2 1/2 quarts applesauce. Combined that with 1 cup brown sugar, 1 TB cider vinegar, 1 tsp. cinnamon in slow-cooker. Very caramel-y flavor. Made 11 half-pints.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 5 lb
- pears - ripe or nearly ripe (no pears? use double the apples!)
- 5 lb
- apples (i use paula red)
- 4 Tbsp
- lemon juice, bottled
- 1/2 c
- apple juice
- 1 c
- brown sugar (add more for a sweeter taste - this amount will make a somewhat tart butter)
- 2 Tbsp
- cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cloves
How to Make Crock-pot Caramel Apple-Pear Butter-or Just Apple
- 1Rinse fruit. Cut in fourths, cutting out any bad spots. Put half of the fruit in a pot with half of the apple juice, half of the lemon juice and half of vinegar. Simmer until fruit is easily pierced with fork. (If it's too mushy, that's ok).
- 2Let cool a bit, run through food mill.
Repeat with other half of fruit and juices.
- 3Put into crockpot. Add spices and sugar. Cook on low overnight or until a spoonful put onto a cool plate mounds without a lot of liquid running out of the sides. Stir every once in a while -especially right before you go to bed and as soon as you get up! If you don't sleep well, give a stir during the night, too!
- 4NOTE: amount of fruit is approximate. Go easy on sugar, vinegar and spices if you don't have quite enough. My last batch was closer to 8 pounds before cooking.