Southern Cornbread Dressing
- 6 c
- freshly baked and cooled cornbread
- hard boiled eggs - finely chopped
- turkey giblets boiled tender and chopped
- 4-5 c
- chicken broth (from boiling giblets and parts)
- 1 c
- onions - finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp
- salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 1 can(s)
- cream of chicken soup
- 1 pkg
- fresh chicken backs - boiled until done.
- 1/2 c
- celery - finely chopped
How to Make Southern Cornbread Dressing
- 1Crumble baked cornbread. (I use my food processor) Spread cornbread thinly on a cookie sheet and bake in 375 degrees oven until lightly browned and dried out. Place crumbled cornbread in a large bowl.
- 2Boil giblets and chicken parts until tender. When tender remove from broth. Discard all bones and skin. Skim foam (sticking to the pot or floating around)and fat from broth. Set aside to cool. Finely chop giblets and meat of chicken parts. Reserving one scant cup for Easy Giblet Gravy.
- 3Add chopped boiled eggs and finely chopped onion. Add broth from the giblets, cream of chicken soup (undiluted) and chicken giblets and parts to cornbread mixture.
- 4Stir to combine all ingredients until it becomes consistency of cornbread before baking.You may have to add more low sodium broth that you have purchased in a box.
- 5Pour contents of bowl into a large (11x14) baking dish. Place in preheated 375 oven. Bake until golden brown and set. The middle may jiggle slightly.
- 6Serve piping hot with Easy Giblet Gravy