Holiday Cornbread Dressing
How to Make Holiday Cornbread Dressing
- Prepare cornbread mix according to directions and bake on a large cookie sheet. Allow to cool and dry out (best to prepare the day before).
- In very large mixing bowl, crumble cornbread into small pieces.
- In large saucepan, boil celery and onions in three cans of chicken broth, until tender. Add sage, sugar, salt and pepper to liquid. Allow to cool, then pour broth over cornbread and mix well.
- Peel and chop the boiled eggs and add to the cornbread mixture; mix again. If mixture is dry, add more broth, one can at a time, until mixture is almost “soupy”.
- Taste dressing and add more sage, sugar, salt & pepper, as needed, until it tastes “right”.
- Pour mixture into a greased roasting pan and cover with foil. Use a large enough pan that mixture is no more than about two inches deep in the pan, in order to cook well. Bake dressing at 350 degrees for an hour.
- Remove foil and bake another 15 – 30 minutes, or until knife inserted in middle of pan comes out clean. DO NOT OVERCOOK or dressing will be too dry.