Za'atar Cream Cheese Spread and Tomato Fillets on a Bagel
- roma tomatoes, filleted
- 4-6 oz
- cream cheese, room temperature
- 1-2 Tbsp
- sour cream (use more for use as a dip)
- 1/3 c
- black olives chopped fine
- 1-2 tsp
- za'atar seasoning (see recipe below)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp
- lemon zest, grated
- sun dried tomatoes, oil cured, chopped fine
- 1 pinch
- seasoning salt
- 2 Tbsp
- ground sumac, dry
- 1 tsp
- dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp
- cumin seed or ground
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 tsp
- toasted sesame seed
- 1/8 tsp
CREAM CHEESE AND OLIVE SPREAD-- THIS COULD ALSO BE USED AS A DIP FOR CRUDITES.
ZA'ATAR- THIS BLEND IS AVAILABLE IN MOST MID EASTERN OR MEDITERRANEAN GROCERY STORES, OR THOUGH ONLINE SPICE MERCHANTS LIKE PENZEY'S SPICES.
How to Make Za'atar Cream Cheese Spread and Tomato Fillets on a Bagel
- 1In a small bowl, Mix all spread ingredients together well using a hand mixer or by hand.
- 2Fillet the Roma Tomatoes by cutting down each side of the tomato to take off only the meat, leaving the seeds and core.You should be able to get 5 or 6 fillets per tomato. Slice the tomato fillets in 3/8 to 1/2 inch slivers. Sprinkle with a tiny amount of salt. (if you want to be very picky about it, you can blanch and peel the Roma tomatoes.)
Slice a few black olives for garnish.
- 3Toast bagel and spread a liberal amount of the cream cheese spread on each half. Place tomato fillets on top of the cream cheese and sprinkle on some sliced black olives. Serve Open faced. (If you want a full sandwich, spread the bottom of the bagel with cream cheese, top with tomato and olive, add a leaf of lettuce, and top with the bagel top spread with a small amount of the cream cheese.)