This recipe is labor intensive but I feel worth the time. It is not very often you can serve something so healthy and have the men of the group complimenting the flavors.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is a perfect dish for a hot summer day! It is really fresh tasting. And the flavor of the peanut sauce is perfect on the roll. I see lots of these on my summer menu. The Test Kitchen
- rice paper for wrapping summer rolls
- 32 - 48 small
- cooked, deveined, tails off shrimp
- lettuce leaves, i used butter lettuce
- 4 oz
- cooked, rice noodles (vermicelli)
- fresh lime, juiced
- carrots, cut in matchsticks
- jicama, cut in matchsticks
- fresh mint
- 2 clove
- garlic, pressed
- 1/2 c
- creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 c
- soy sauce
- 1 tsp
- granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp
- rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp
- chili oil
- 1/2 c
- chopped cilantro
How to Make Summer Rolls
- 1Peanut Sauce:
Gently stir together all ingredients except cilantro. When ingredients are combined, fold in cilantro. Cover and refrigerate. I take the sauce out of the refrigerator about a half hour before serving so it has a more spreadable consistency.
- 2Summer Rolls:
There is a bit of prep time involved.
First I prepare the noodles according to the package directions. Rinse with cool water and drain. I put the noodles in a container at this point and add the salt, pepper and lime juice to noodles. Refrigerate noodles until ready to assemble.
- 3Slice carrots and jicama into matchstick slices. Store in separate containers in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- 4Remove tails from shrimp and refrigerate until ready to assemble. Remove stems from fresh mint as you only use the leaves.
- 5To assemble rolls:
Dip wrapper in water until soft. This will take less than a minute. Place wrapper on work service. I use a non-wood cutting board. In middle of wet wrapper, place 2-3 detailed shrimp. Place a leaf of lettuce on top of shrimp. Place some noodles in the lettuce cup. Top with carrots, jicama and finally 2-3 mint leaves.
- 6Fold top down and lightly hug ingredients to hold in place. Fold in sides of wrapper. Continue rolling until all of the wrapper is used. Place seam side down in container.
- 7If I am not serving immediately, I place a wet paper towel and plastic wrap between layer to prevent them from sticking to one another.
- 8You can slice rolls at a diagonal in the middle if you choose or serve whole. Serve with peanut sauce.