1) a Salton yogurt maker OR 2)
a narrow wine bucket lined on the outside with a heating pad (set at medium).
The great thing about this is you can use the plain yogurt in so many dishes and just eat it with fruit, granola or whatever you like. In the pic I have used a couple spoonfulls of my peach jam.
- 1 qt
- of milk, whole, 2%, 1% or skim, its your choice. i use 2%.
- 1/4 c
- instant non fat dry milk powder
- 3 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- plain yogurt
- salton yogurt maker or a narrow wine bucket lined on the outside with a heating pad
- candy thermometer
How to Make Homemade Yogurt
- 1Preheat your yogurt maker or lined bucket with the heating pad set at medium.
- 2On medium heat, place 4 cups of milk into a nice heavy bottomed pan, whisk in your dry milk first and honey when a little warmer. Heat this on medium heat whisking almost constantly until just below the boiling point, Use candy thermometer. You do not want this to boil or start to simmer.
- 3Once desired temperature is reached, remove your pant from the burner, while keeping the candy thermometer in the mixture, let this cool to 110 degrees.
- 4Now when the mixture is between 100 and 110 degrees you want to add your 1/2 cup of plain yogurt (this is the last time you should have to buy it! LOL)
Gently add your plain yogurt, do not beat or whip this. When incorporated pour your mixture into your container. I let my mixture set for 7 hours .
- 5You always want to reserve 1/2 cup of your finished yogurt to use as your starter for the next batch.