Authentic Refried Beans
I wish I could thank her in person. This recipe has been amazing for my authentic mexican nights. You'll never want to use canned beans again!
How to Make Authentic Refried Beans
- 1Soak your beans in a medium bowl filled with water for 1 - 4 hours
- 2Rinse beans
- 3Fill a medium pot with water and add the beans, salt, garlic, (and pepper)
- 4Boil on medium heat for 2-3 hours, till all the water is mostly absorbed. There will be a small amount of beany liquid at the bottom and the beans will squish easily.
- 5remove beans from heat. In a large sauce pan add the lard/butter to the pan and allow to melt on medium heat.
- 6Add beans. Using a spatula mash and fold the beans while frying. It's important to keep the beans moving or they will get crispy. Mash beans till it resembles a paste.
- 7Serve beans hot with melted cheese and salsa or store for later use. Makes a great cold snack with chips!