7 Layer Bean Dip
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 2 c
- of re-fried beans, either from one 15-ounce can or homemade
- 1 tsp
- (or more) of bacon fat (or 1 strip of bacon, cooked and minced) optional
- 1 tsp
- of chipotle powder, tabasco chipotle sauce, or adobo sauce, more to taste (or plain chili powder to taste.
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 c
- shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 c
- chopped green anaheim chiles (canned) or a tbsp of chopped pickled jalapenos (more to taste)
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- hot house tomato, cut in half horizontally, seeds and juice gently squeezed out and discarded, chopped
- 1/2 c
- of sour cream, or if you can get it crema mexicana (mexican sour cream)
- ½ small can of sliced ripe black olives
How to Make 7 Layer Bean Dip
- 1Heat the re-fried beans in a medium sauté pan or cast iron skillet. Stir in enough water to get a creamy, easily dip-able consistency, about ¼ of a cup.
- 2The taste of re-fried beans is greatly enhanced by bacon fat; we'll add a teaspoon to canned beans or a tablespoon or more to taste if we are making the beans from scratch.
- 3If you don't have bacon fat, you can cook up a strip of bacon, chop it up fine and add that to the beans.
- 4If you are trying to avoid pork, note that most canned re-fried beans are made with added lard, so check the ingredients. You can use olive oil instead, to help the consistency of the beans.
- 5Mix in the chipotle chili powder (or Tabasco, or adobo, or regular chili powder) and cumin to taste.
- 6NOTE : that the avocados and the sour cream will cool down the spiciness of the beans considerably, so you can afford to be a bit more spicy than you might think.
- 7Stir in salt to taste, depending on how salted your re fried beans are to begin with, and depending on how salty the tortilla chips are that you are serving with the dip.
- 8Once the beans are hot and bubbly, spread them over the bottom of a warmed serving dish. Immediately add the shredded cheese so that the heat from the beans helps melt the cheese. (The cheese doesn't need to be completely melted, but even if it is just a little, it will help the dip stay on the chip.)
- 9Layer on the chopped green chilies, chopped avocado, chopped tomato. Spoon on the sour cream (or crema Mexicana, crema fresca, or even cream fraiche). Top with sliced green onions and olives. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.