Schuster's German Potato Salad
1 cwhite sugar
1 ccider vinegar
2 clow sodium chicken broth (you can substitute water)
2 Tbspcornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbsp of the broth or water
2 bunchgreen onions, slice both white and green
1 lbcenter cut bacon, diced
5 lbred salad or yukon gold potatoes; boiled & cooled until able to touch; peeled & medium sliced (not too thin!)
1/2 cfresh parsley, rough chopped
How to Make Schuster's German Potato Salad
- Saute bacon over medium heat until crisp. Do not allow to get too brown, but be sure to cook through; remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Saute whites of the onion in the bacon drippings until almost clear & limp; add green and saute a few more minutes, checking to be sure they don't become brown; remove from pan and add to paper towel to drain.
- Heat sugar, vinegar and water to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in dissolved cornstarch. Return to medium low heat. Add bacon & onion. Gently stir to combine.
- Place still warm, sliced potatoes in buttered oven proof casserole dish (recommendation: 4 qt casserole); Add hot sauce to the mix and gently stir to combine well. Garnish with chopped parsley. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- You can make the day before and refrigerate without baking. Be sure to remove casserole from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before placing in the oven.