Schuster's German Potato Salad
- 1 c
- white sugar
- 1 c
- cider vinegar
- 2 c
- low sodium chicken broth (you can substitute water)
- 2 Tbsp
- cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbsp of the broth or water
- 2 bunch
- green onions, slice both white and green
- 1 lb
- center cut bacon, diced
- 5 lb
- red salad or yukon gold potatoes; boiled & cooled until able to touch; peeled & medium sliced (not too thin!)
- 1/2 c
- fresh parsley, rough chopped
How to Make Schuster's German Potato Salad
- 1Saute bacon over medium heat until crisp. Do not allow to get too brown, but be sure to cook through; remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- 2Saute whites of the onion in the bacon drippings until almost clear & limp; add green and saute a few more minutes, checking to be sure they don't become brown; remove from pan and add to paper towel to drain.
- 3Heat sugar, vinegar and water to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in dissolved cornstarch. Return to medium low heat. Add bacon & onion. Gently stir to combine.
- 4Place still warm, sliced potatoes in buttered oven proof casserole dish (recommendation: 4 qt casserole); Add hot sauce to the mix and gently stir to combine well. Garnish with chopped parsley. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- 5You can make the day before and refrigerate without baking. Be sure to remove casserole from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before placing in the oven.