Southern Layered Cornbread Salad
It involves a bit of prep work, but if you are pushed for time you can buy pre-chopped peppers, celery, and red onions at many grocery stores. It does need to refrigerate at least 4 hours, but overnight is best.
- 1 box
- jiffy corn bread mix, made according to package directions, in 8" square pan; crumbled
- 12 oz
- peppercorn ranch salad dressing
- 1/3 c
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 c
- 1/2 c
- 1 head large
- romaine, rough chopped
- 2-1/2 c
- smoked turkey, cubed (optional; if i use i buy from the deli)
- 1 large
- yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 large
- red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium
- red onion, diced
- 2 large
- tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 stalks large
- celery, diced
- 2 c
- shredded swiss cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 lb
- bacon, diced and cooked, drained well
- green onions, diced (garnish)
How to Make Southern Layered Cornbread Salad
- 1This salad needs a very large bowl. If you have a glass bowl it will make a very pretty addition to the table!
- 2Mix the salad dressing, mayonnaise, buttermilk, and parmesan. Blend well. (If you cannot find Peppercorn Ranch you can use traditional ranch and add about 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to your taste)
- 3Start the layers with 1/3 of the cornbread; add 1/2 of all the other ingredients, (except the green onion) in this order: romaine; turkey; yellow pepper; orange pepper, onion, tomato; celery; cheese; bacon; 1/3 of the dressing mixture.
- 4Repeat layers, ending with cornbread, and the final 1/3 of the dressing mixture.
- 5Cover tightly; refrigerate at least 4 hours, or over night. Prior to serving, add more buttermilk if the top appears too dry; garnish with the green onion.