Quinoa Salsa Salad
If you have tried quinoa before and found it bland you didn't toast it. Toasting quinoa will give it a nutty fragrance and flavor.
3/4 ctoasted quinoa
1 1/2 cwater
115 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2ears corn or 1 cup frozen
1 cpineapple, chopped
3green onions, sliced thin
3/4 cchopped tomato
1/2 cchopped orange bell pepper
1/2 cchopped flat leaf parsley
1 mediumhead romaine lettuce, chopped
3 tspwhite balsamic vinegar
3 Tbspagave nectar
2 Tbsppineapple juice
2 Tbsplime juice
2 clovegarlic, minced
1 mediumjalapeno, minced
3 Tbspolive oil
How to Make Quinoa Salsa Salad
- If you have never toasted quinoa do this step first. Preheat large, heavy skillet over medium high heat. Rinse quinoa even if it is pre washed and drain well. Dump quinoa into the hot skillet and with a wooden spoon begin to stir. Don't stop stirring until your quinoa is a lovely light golden brown. This process takes about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and pour toasted quinoa into a medium mixing bowl. Toss for a few minutes to cool it down and stop the cooking process. Your quinoa will now have a slight nutty fragrance and when cooked that flavor carries over.
- In a medium saucepan bring water to a boil.
- Add quinoa.
- Return to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook for 20 minutes. All water should be absorbed.
- Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the black beans, parsley, green onions, tomato and pepper. Chop fresh pineapple, put it in a colander over a bowl to collect juice-you want 2 tablespoons.
- Cut the kernels off the corn. Using the same skillet you toasted the quinoa in cook the kernels in a small amount of oil until it just starts to turn a very light brown in spots. If using frozen corn do the same.
- Add toasted corn to the mixing bowl containing the other veg and fruits.
- Add cooked quinoa and chopped pineapple, give it a good stir.
- For the dressing-
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the white balsamic vinegar, agave nectar, pineapple juice, lime juice, minced garlic and jalapeno, salt and olive oil.
- Whisk well to combine.
- Add dressing to quinoa mixture, stirring well.
- Chop romaine and add to quinoa/dressing mixture.
- Toss really well.