La Grande Orange Cafe's Kale & Quinoa Salad
It sounds like all these flavors wouldn't go together,but they do.
The recipe is from recipe secrets.com
- 1 t. champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 t.minced shallots
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 c canola oil
- 1 t. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c quinoa
- 4 c loosely packed julienned kale,,from 1 large bunch
- champagne vinaigrette
- 3 t toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 c diced red bell pepper
- 2/3 c red seedless grapes,halved
- 1/4 c grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 1/4 c grated manco cheese10
- 10-12 strips finely julienned preserved lemon
NOTE: PRESERVED LEMONS CAN BE FOUND AT SELECT WELL-STOCKED GROCERY STORES AS WELL AS COOKING AND GOURMET MARKETS.
How to Make La Grande Orange Cafe's Kale & Quinoa Salad
- 1For the champagne vinaigrette:In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, shallots and salt; set aside for 20 minutes to soften the shallot. Slowly drizzle in the oils while whisking to emulsify the vinaigrette. Whisk in the chervil and pepper. This makes a scant one-half cup vinaigrette; the vinaigrette will keep, covered and refrigerated, up to 4 days.
- 2For the Salad: Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a simmer. Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse well, then drain, and add to the simmering water. Cook the quinoa until the grains are translucent and tender and the germ has spiraled out from the grain, about 15 minutes (be careful not to overcook). Remove from heat and drain any remaining liquid. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and transfer to a baking sheet to cool. The quinoa can be made ahead of time and stored, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days before using.
2. In a large bowl, place the kale and one-fourth cup of the vinaigrette. Using your hands, massage the vinaigrette into the kale until the kale is softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. To the bowl, add the cooled quinoa, the sunflower seeds, bell pepper, grapes and Parmigiano Reggiano, tossing to combine.
4. Divide the salad among serving plates, evenly sprinkling over the Manchego cheese and garnishing with the preserved lemon strips. Serve immediately.