Mom's Potato Salad
6 lbred potatoes
·water to cover
12 largeeggs, hard boiled
1 qtdiced onions
4 cmiracle whip (do not substitute)
1 Tbspyellow mustard
1/2 tspground white pepper
1 1/2 cwhite sugar (this amount is correct)
1/4 capple cider vinegar
How to Make Mom's Potato Salad
- TWO DAYS BEFORE YOU ARE SERVING POTATO SALAD:
- Stir together all the ingredients for the dressing until thoroughly blended. Place in a container with a lid and store in refrigerator (this allows the sugar time to dissolve).
- THE DAY BEFORE YOU ARE SERVING THE POTATO SALAD:
- Place potatoes in large pot, sprinkle with salt, and cover with water. Boil potatoes till they are cooked through. Cool slightly, until you can handle them comfortably without burning your hand (it helps to drain the hot water off and refill the pan with cold water). Remove potatoes skins while warm.
- Hard boil eggs and peel.
- Slice the potatoes, eggs and onions into 1/2 inch slices, then dice them into 1/2-inch cubes. If you have a Vidalia onion dicer or other vegetable dicer, it will really take the work out of this step.
- Place the potatoes, eggs and the onions in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over this and using a wooden spoon or large spatula mix together.
- Keep in a covered container in the refrigerator overnight to allow potato salad to mellow and flavor to go through.
- Before serving sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- This recipe halves easily.
- Occasionally I will peel a cucumber, quarter it lengthwise, dice it into cubes and stir it into the potato salad (2 cucumbers for the whole recipe and 1 for a half recipe). Use more if you'd like and to your taste.
- It is important that the potato salad is made the day before so that the flavor can go through it.
- Will keep in your refrigerator for five days (its never lasted that long in this house)!