Mom's Potato Salad
- 6 lb
- red potatoes
- 1 Tbsp
- water to cover
- 12 large
- eggs, hard boiled
- 1 qt
- diced onions
- 4 c
- miracle whip (do not substitute)
- 1 Tbsp
- yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp
- ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 c
- white sugar (this amount is correct)
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 c
- apple cider vinegar
How to Make Mom's Potato Salad
- 1TWO DAYS BEFORE YOU ARE SERVING POTATO SALAD:
- 2Stir together all the ingredients for the dressing until thoroughly blended. Place in a container with a lid and store in refrigerator (this allows the sugar time to dissolve).
- 3THE DAY BEFORE YOU ARE SERVING THE POTATO SALAD:
- 4Place potatoes in large pot, sprinkle with salt, and cover with water. Boil potatoes till they are cooked through. Cool slightly, until you can handle them comfortably without burning your hand (it helps to drain the hot water off and refill the pan with cold water). Remove potatoes skins while warm.
- 5Hard boil eggs and peel.
- 6Slice the potatoes, eggs and onions into 1/2 inch slices, then dice them into 1/2-inch cubes. If you have a Vidalia onion dicer or other vegetable dicer, it will really take the work out of this step.
- 7Place the potatoes, eggs and the onions in a large bowl.
- 8Pour the dressing over this and using a wooden spoon or large spatula mix together.
- 9Keep in a covered container in the refrigerator overnight to allow potato salad to mellow and flavor to go through.
- 10Before serving sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- 11This recipe halves easily.
- 12Occasionally I will peel a cucumber, quarter it lengthwise, dice it into cubes and stir it into the potato salad (2 cucumbers for the whole recipe and 1 for a half recipe). Use more if you'd like and to your taste.
- 13It is important that the potato salad is made the day before so that the flavor can go through it.
- 14Will keep in your refrigerator for five days (its never lasted that long in this house)!