Guam Potato Salad
- 8 lb
- eggs, hard boiled
- 5 can(s)
- 2.25 ounces sliced pitted olives
- medium jars of pickled sweet relish (more or less depending on how you like your salad)
- 1 1/2
- large jar of mayonnaise (more or less depending on how you like your salad)
- 2.25 ounce jar of red pimentos (more or less depending on how you like your salad)
- black pepper (sprinkle to taste)
How to Make Guam Potato Salad
- 1Boil the potatoes and eggs (separately). Potatoes should be tender, but not too mushy or soft. I usually stick a tooth pick in to see if they're "just right." Peel potatoes and remove shells from hard boiled eggs.
- 2Cut potatoes into little squares and chop eggs. (Some people prefer their potatoes chopped into large cubes, others like them smaller. My family likes the potato salad chunky, so the eggs and potatoes tend to be chopped bigger).
- 3Empty the wet ingredients (the condiments: relish, olives, and pimentos) into a strainer and drain liquid. Mix together. Place mixture aside in a small/medium bowl. (It's up to you how you want this mixture to taste. You can add as much of one ingredient, or as little, as you want).
- 4Using clean hands, preferably hands covered in plastic gloves, mix together gently (don't smash the potatoes!). They always say that only ONE person should be responsible for mixing the salad. Mix the dry ingredients (potatoes and eggs) in a large bowl, sprinkling black pepper over the mixture to taste.
- 5Slowly add in the condiment mixture to the potatoes and eggs. You can add as much of the condiments or as little as you would like.
- 6Empty entire jar of mayonnaise in and mix until ingredients are covered evenly. Use the second 1/2 jar to add in mayo as you want. The potato salad should be evenly covered and not too dry or wet with mayo.
- 7Place salad into a large bowl or serving platter and use a spatula to spread the remaining mayo over the salad smoothly to decorate and garnish (kind of like icing!). You can decorate the top with hard boiled eggs cut into decorative shapes and little olives.
- 8Serve cold or put in refrigerator and keep cold until it's time to serve.